Saturday, April 17, 2010

Quoting Conference Hoots.

Alrighty, time for a "real" blog (beyond the intro, *DUN DUN DUNNNN*). In recap, a group of almost 30 peeps from EU (profs and students) migrated north for the Festival of Faith and Writing this past Wednesday. The conference had sessions all day Thurs. - Sat. (today). It was all [fantabulistically] awesome, but the highlights by far were the people. So instead of dragging on with a mini-summary of each session, I decided to hit the highlights via the best way: quotes. [Thank you 2 1/2 years of hs yrbk for tattooing constant quote-scribbling on my soul.]

The first set are quotes from speakers from the conference, the second set are quotes from peers. For reference, MJ, Jesse and H-bomb were my awesome roomies for the duration of our hotel stay. Good female bonding time. :)

~Snowl

~~~ Conference Quotes~~~

"There are 3 Rule of Writing: the problem is nobody knows what they are."
--Brady Udall

~~~

"You can't really steal someone's ideas... people do all the time and nobody cares."
--Brady Udall

~~~

"When a reader picks up a novel, she is entering a long-term relationship. A poem is like a one-night stand. The novelist must bring the reader through the pages."
--Brady Udall

~~~

"Sports writing is a great career to go into if you want a drinking problem and several divorces."
--Chip MacGregor

~~~

"God is like your mother who keeps telling you to clean your room over and over again, so you clean your room just to shut your mother up."
--Sharon Flake

~~~

"When you put your mess out there, you provide a place of healing for others."
--Sharon Flake

~~~

"Developing a literary journal is like sucking your head through a straw."
--RELIEF Editor

~~~

"We have a slogan but I can't remember what it is."
--Christian Amondson, Wipf and Stock Publishers



~~~Memorable Moments~~~

MJ: Wow! Martin, you have really nice calves!

~~~

MJ: I like gay people too. My best friend in high school was gay.

Jesse: Guy or girl?

MJ: Guy. He hit on my boyfriend though. We're no longer friends.

~~~

MJ: I'm not a lesbian.

~~~

MJ: (getting out of the shower) Are there any boys in here?

Jesse/H-bomb: No.

Me: Not unless you count Orville...

~~~

Me: You're right MJ, he does have really nice calves.

~~~

I tried to upload a photo on blogspot but it was taking its jolly-sweet time, so I gave up and used photobucket. Which worked.

6:30 a.m. is a God-forsaken hour. As Jesse said the other morn, "If you are awake and a Taco Bell isn't open, go back to bed." Amen, Jesse.

~~~

"I don't think Burgess is slutty. It's all the butch man-women living there now." --Jesse

~~~

MJ: (repeat) I'm not a lesbian.

~~~

H-bomb: Let me know if this music is too loud.

Jesse/MJ/Me: Omgosh its so loud/turn it down/can't hear myself think/etc.

H-bomb: *pause* Whatever.

~~~

MJ: (repeat. again.) I'm not a lesbian guys... *nervous laugh* yeaaaah... I wish I had a boyfriend.

~~~

Hotty-Man (steamin' in the hot tub): So... what are you two doin' tonight?

MJ & Me: Uhhh

Me: We've got an 8:30 morning session. ... So we're going to bed early.

~~~
Jesse: I am a territorial beging, and if a creature comes crawling into my dorm room, they're going DOWN.

H-bomb: I'll remember to not come to your dorm room...

~~~

J: You're getting up at 5 in the morning?? Why?

MJ: Because I'm not gonna be able to pa--look at that mess. Gonna take me forever to clean that up.

~~~

Martini: Stop staring at my calves!

~~~

Maybe you just had to be there. Or maybe you were, and secretly snickered on the inside when reading this. I'm hoping for the latter either way. Happy writing. Snowl signing off. Zzzz~~

2 comments:

  1. Oh the warm and fuzzies!!!! This has been the most amazing conference!!!! Thanks love.
    PS I am not a lesbian.

    ReplyDelete